Western Reads would like to invite members of the campus community to recommend texts for next year's Western Reads selection by Wednesday, Jan. 16! We welcome the diverse voices and perspectives of the WWU campus community in selecting a text for the coming year.
Also, copies of this year's Western Reads book Octavia's Brood: Science Fiction Stories from Social Justice Movements are available to any member of our campus community. Get your free copy at the Wilson Library Main Circulation Desk today! And join us to learn and dialogue at these Winter & Spring 2019 Western Reads events:
- Octavia's Cinema: The Science Fiction of Film Part II - Alien Perspectives
- Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016)- Thursday, January 24, 6:00 p.m. – Fraser 102
- Avatar (James Cameron, 2009)- Thursday, February 14, 6:00 p.m. – Fraser 102
- District 9 (Neill Blomkamp, 2009)- Thursday, March 7, 6:00 p.m. – Fraser 102
- Octavia's Brood themed Teaching-Learning Academy dialogues - 12:00-12:50 in Haggard Hall 222
- How does resistance to change & fear of the unknown influence academia & your life? Related to Octavia's Brood themes in Small & Bright. Wednesday, January 30, 2019 & Thursday, January 31, 2019
- In what ways do we uphold & combat systems of racial inequality & “token”ization? Related to Octavia's Brood themes in Token Superhero. Wednesday, February 27, 2019 & Thursday, February 28, 2019
- Octavia's Brood themed courses for first-year students
- ENG 110 (2 credits) - Science Fiction & Social Justice - Tuesdays from 2:00-4:00
- EDUC 197D (1 credit) - Octavia's Cinema: Alien Perspectives - Thursday, January 10 & 24, February 14, March 7 & 14 - beginning at 6:00 p.m.
- Octavia's Brood author visit, workshops & student lunch - Thursday, April 18, 2019