The Council on International Exchange, a Western Washington University-affiliated study abroad partner, awarded $76,000 in grants to WWU students to study abroad in fall 2016. The grants were in support of the Institute of International Education Generation Study Abroad initiative.
Four students won $10,000 CIEE Global Scholars grants to engage in comparative learning experiences in three different CIEE Global Institutes during the 18-week program. Each institute provides opportunities for students to study many disciplines/majors in English as well as language study at all levels. The following students are grant recipients:
- Jordan Butler is a senior Political Science major and will study Political Science tracks in London, Paris, and Rome
- Gabriel Ibanez is a junior Business major and will study Business tracks in Berlin, London, and Rome
- Sara Johnson is a senior Honors student and will be studying English, literature, and culture coursework in Berlin, London, and Paris
- Monea Kerr is a senior double-majoring in Journalism and Communications; she will study Communications tracks in Berlin, London, and Rome
Six students won $6,000 CIEE Open Campus grants to study in one of CIEE’s Global Institutes. The following students are grant recipients:
- Lark Bell is a Junior student, still exploring her major and taking coursework at the Rome Open Campus
- Matthew Dean is senior German major and will be studying German at the Berlin Open Campus
- Julianne Jackson is a sophomore Political Science major studying Political Science tracks at the Berlin Open Campus
- Marina Lowe is a sophomore Psychology and Art major, taking courses at the Paris Open Campus
- Aubrey McNeil is a sophomore Marketing major, and will be taking Business and Marketing tracks at the Paris Open Campus
- Eleanor Young is a freshman interested in Psychology and will be studying health and culture-related coursework at the Paris Open Campus
These grants will support WWU’s IIE Generation Study Abroad international initiative to double the number of students who study abroad annually to 1,000 by 2019 and increasing the number of underrepresented who study abroad.
For more information, contact Liz Partolan-Fray, director of Education Abroad, and Hannah Nevitt, program coordinator of Education Abroad, at EdAbroad@wwu.edu or 360-650-3298.