If your office or workstation will be vacant for even one day during the upcoming holiday, please take the following actions to reduce “phantom” energy consumption while you are away.
• Shut your windows
• Shut curtains/lower your blinds for extra insulation
• Turn off and unplug your computer and your separate monitor
• Shut off power strips
• Unplug all appliances not plugged into power strips, including speakers, printers, copiers, fax machines, coffee makers, microwave and toaster ovens, water coolers, etc.
• Leave refrigerators plugged in, or defrost and clean before unplugging
• Shut fume hood sashes (in lab buildings)
• Leave your thermostat at its normal setting. Building thermostats and radiators are monitored by the FM Energy Management Center, no localized adjustments are needed. For thermostat guidelines, go to http://www.wwu.edu/sustain/10x12/heating.shtml
• Tightly turn off faucets and report any leaks to work control x3420
• Water your plants
• Turn off your lights
• Have a safe and happy break!
What else can you do?
• Remind students and colleagues to power down before leaving campus
• Turn off lights and shut windows in unoccupied rooms