Anyone leaving the Western Washington University campus for even one day during the upcoming break (and with the Christmas holiday coming up on the 25th, that should be everyone) should take the following actions to reduce campus electricity and natural gas consumption and costs:
- Shut your windows
- Shut curtains/lower your blinds for extra insulation
- Turn off your computer and the monitor(s)
- Shut off power strips
- Unplug all appliances not plugged into power strips, including speakers, printers, copiers, fax machines, coffee makers, microwave and toaster ovens, water coolers, etc.
- Leave refrigerators plugged in, or defrost and clean before unplugging
- Shut fume hood sashes (in lab buildings)
- Leave your thermostat at its normal setting. Building thermostats and radiators are monitored by the FM Energy Management Center, no localized adjustments are needed
- Tightly turn off faucets and report any leaks
- Water your plants
- Turn off your lights
What else can you do?
- Remind students and colleagues to power down before leaving campus
- Turn off lights and shut windows in unoccupied rooms
The Office of Sustainability and the FM Energy Management Team wish you a safe and happy winter break!