Thursday, March 8, 2012 - 9:35am
Those whose offices or computers will be unused for even one day during the upcoming break should take the following actions to reduce phantom energy consumption:
- Shut your windows.
- Shut curtains/lower your blinds for extra insulation.
- Turn off and unplug your computer and your separate monitor.
- Shut off power strips.
- Unplug all appliances not plugged into power strips, including speakers, printers, copiers, fax machines, coffee makers, microwave and toaster ovens, water coolers, etc.
- Leave refrigerators plugged in, or defrost and clean before unplugging.
- Shut fume hood sashes (in lab buildings).
- Leave your thermostat at its normal setting. Building thermostats and radiators are monitored by the FM Energy Management Center, no localized adjustments are needed. Thermostat guidelines from WWU.
- Tightly turn off faucets and report any leaks to work control (360) 650-3420.
- Water your plants.
- Turn off your lights.
What else can you do?
- Remind students and colleagues to power down before leaving campus.
- Turn off lights and shut windows in unoccupied rooms.
In the Media
Pro Football Talk
The Huffington Post
The Bellingham Herald