May 13 event aims to teach all about leadership
Learn all about leadership at part one of the Leadership for What? event from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 13, in the Wilson Library Reading Room.
A number of WWU speakers will discuss various aspects of leadership at the event:
- Kristen French, associate professor and director of Woodring’s Center for Education and a 2012 recipient of the Women of Color Empowerment Award.
- Regina Barber DeGraaff, a physics instructor. She also has an instrumental role with WWU SACNAS (Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science).
- Ricardo Escobar, geology grad student, traveled to Ecuador to study volcanoes. Ricardo is also a member of WWU SACNAS (Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science).
- Tom Roehl, management professor focused on International Business, College of Business and Economics. Tom has more than five years of living in Japan, speaks and reads Japanese well-enough to gather information and data, and does his research on studying industries and company relationships internationally.
- Shannon Gnagey, double major in marketing and international business, research intern at Google Inc., and avid traveler to such places as London, France, Spain.
Service-learning/giving back to the community
- Tara Perry, associate professor of communication with a Ph.D. in cultural studies who incorporates service learning connecting Bellingham to WWU through her courses.
- Tim Costello, director of WWU’s Center for Service-learning, has given back to U.S. communities through AIDS activism, and with international communities through Slum Doctors and WWU trips to Africa to give back to local communities there.
Co-sponsors: Associated Students, University Residences, Western’s Leadership Advantage (Karen W. Morse Institute for Leadership & LEADS). Light refreshments will be served, and attendees may enter a drawing for one of three $25 bookstore gift cards.
For more information, call 360-650-4190 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.