After the recent hurricane in the Philippines, many donations that would have normally gone to the local Mt. Baker chapter of the Red Cross were diverted to that cause. But the Red Cross helps people in Whatcom County, not just abroad. After disasters like fires and floods, the Red Cross steps in to help victims and support police and fire department by giving them hot food during a crisis, for example.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 4 in Red Square, the Human Services Department at Western Washington University is holding a Fill the ERV (Emergency Response Vehicle) event, trying to raise $5,000 that would go into all of the supplies that a Red Cross ERV needs.
- $25 buys 5 blankets for use at an emergency Red Cross shelter
- $75 buys 37 comfort kits providing hygiene items such as shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, soap and more
- $150 buys 4 cots for an emergency Red Cross shelter
- $250 buys 1000 bottles of water to hydrate disaster victims & first responders
- $500 buys 20 home clean up kits for use after a fire or flood