From EHS: Some tips to avoid fire-related heating mishaps this winter
Winter here in the Pacific Northwest is a time you may want to cozy up on those windy cold days. Heating-related mishaps are the second leading cause of fires in the U.S. Put the freeze on winter fires!
- Remember to keep candles at least 12” from combustibles and put them out when you leave the room.
- If you didn’t clean your chimney last fall, consider getting it cleaned now.
- Make sure portable heaters are placed away from combustibles, are UL listed and have a tip over switch to turn them off if they get knocked over.
- Make sure generators are placed outdoors when used.
Stay warm and be safe!
- WWU Environmental Health and Safety