Western’s Viking Supported Agriculture (VSA) Program is now open to all campus members for the 2019 growing season. The VSA program brings together students, staff, and faculty and Whatcom/Skagit County produce and producers. VSA offers you the opportunity to support local farmers in exchange for shares of the freshest possible food from their seasonal harvest. Compared to organic produce bought in grocery stores or markets, the average savings on produce from a CSA Farm Box are 25-30 percent.
Western is partnering with three different farms this year, Terra Verde, Wright Brothers, and Viva Farms. Please find details on what each farm is offering below and by clicking here. If you are interested in signing up, or have questions about what each farm is offering, please contact our partner farms directly using the information below.
Terra Verde Farm:
- Season Length: Terra Verde offers three seasons, which are six weeks each, starting in June and ending in September. They will be delivering on Wednesdays by noon.
- Types of Shares: Either one full share (8-10 items) or half shares (every other week), usually including one extra item
- Delivery Day & Time: Wednesdays by noon. Deliveries start Wednesday, June 19.
- Registration Close Dates for three six-week seasons:
- Season “A” by this Friday, June 14 in order to receive food by Wednesday, June 19.
- Season “B” by Friday, July 19, in order to receive produce on Wednesday, July 24th.
- Season “C” by Friday, August 23, in order to receive produce on Wednesday, August 28.
- Please register on their site: www.ieatveggies.org (After you register, you will receive two emails; one with the start date, and the other is the link to a google doc to show that you work at Western.)
- Special Bonus: The first 20 people who sign up will receive 10 pounds of free u-pick blueberries at their farm in Everson.
- Participation Limit: Limited to 25 people from Western.
- Contact Information: Amy Fontaine – firstname.lastname@example.org
Wright Brothers Farm:
- Season Length: 16 weeks.
- Types of Shares: 3 types of shares: Individual (4-6 items), Regular (6-8 items), ad Large (10-12 items.)
- Delivery Day & Time: Tuesdays by 8AM. Deliveries will start either Tuesday, June 18 or Tuesday, June 25.
- Registration Close Date: No end sign up date; Wright Brothers will prorate the cost accordingly.
- Please Register Using this Live Link: Wright Brothers Farm CSA Order Form. Or, copy and paste this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc-O0UuwuacOSG8V2QFjjfKVihMAf8eoqWCLZlOb66e2LF64w/viewform (This will take you directly to Western’s registration page.)
- Participation Limit: 100 people from Western.
- Contact Information: Craig Wright - email@example.com 206-390-2978
- Season Length: Mid-June to mid-September and/or mid-September to mid-December.
- Types of Shares: A small share for 2 adults (8-10 different items), and a large share for 4 adults (8-10 different items times 2.)
- Delivery Day & Time: Thursdays by 10AM; their first delivery will be this Thursday, June 13.
- Registration Close Date: You may sign up at any time on a prorated basis; however, they do prefer customers to sign up for the entire season so please sign up as soon as you can.
- Please register on their website: www.vivafarms.org (During the registration, you will be able to choose that you are from Western.)
- Participation Limit: No limit to the number of people from Western who can sign up.
- Contact Information: Anna Chotzen – firstname.lastname@example.org 360-969-7191 x3
Viking Supported Agriculture is a program of the Office of Sustainability with support from University Relations and Marketing, Sustainable Connections, and the Academic Custodial Services. More information on the benefits of Community Supported Agriculture can be found on Sustainable Connections’ website: https://sustainableconnections.org/eat-local-first/csa/