Offices and workstations that will be vacant for even one day during the upcoming holiday break should be buttoned up and powered down to help the university save energy.
A few courses of action, from the Western Washington University Office of Sustainability and its 10x12 program:
- Shut your windows
- Shut curtains/lower blinds for extra insulation
- Turn off and unplug your computer and your separate monitor
- Shut off power strips
- Unplug all appliances not plugged into power strips, including speakers, printers, copiers, fax machines, coffee makers, microwave and toaster ovens, water coolers, etc.
- Leave refrigerators plugged in, or defrost and clean before unplugging
- Shut fume hood sashes (in lab buildings)
- Leave your thermostat at its normal setting. Building thermostats and radiators are monitored by the FM Energy Management Center, and no localized adjustments are needed. For thermostat guidelines, go to http://www.wwu.edu/sustain/10x12/heating.shtml.
- Tightly turn off faucets and report any leaks to work control at (360) 650-3420.
- Water your plants
- Turn off your lights
- Remind students and colleagues to power down before leaving campus
- Turn off lights and shut windows in unoccupied rooms
- Have a safe and happy break!