Board of Trustees recap: June 8-9
Professor Glenn Tsunokai praised the benefits of FIGS, a cluster of three courses linked to a two-credit seminar, which develop among students “a nice sense of community.”
When asked to define student success, Trustee Mo West said it means, “conveying to the students they belong here and matter.”
Among challenges facing offices on campus, some described increasing workloads and the need for more resources.
Shari Robinson, director of Western’s Counseling Center, said the counseling center needs more counselors in response to heavy demand. She noted that “mental health problems can easily become academic problems.”
Western has a decision package now before the Legislature, seeking additional funding for student success at Western.
In other business, the trustees recognized:
- The national champion Western Women’s Rowing Team
- Bethany Drake, NCAA II javelin national champion
- The service of Student Trustee Abigail Ramos
- Fulbright, Gillman, Research Experience for Undergraduate and Teaching Assistance in France Student Award Recipients
- The service of Eileen Coughlin, senior vice president and vice president for Enrollment and Student Services, who is retiring
- The service of Steve Swan, vice president of University Relations and Community Development, who is retiring
- The service of Kathleen Kitto, dean of the Graduate School and vice provost for Research and Sponsored Programs, who is retiring
- The service of Woodring Dean Francisco Rios, who is transitioning from dean to faculty member
- 2017 Presidential Scholars, at a breakfast
The trustees also:
- Approved 2017-2018 student fees
- Approved 2017-18 preliminary operating budget; the approval is preliminary as the Legislature, still in special session, has yet to approve an operating budget
- Approved a preliminary capital budget
- Heard an update from Bryce Hammer, Associated Students vice president for Government Affairs, on the AS governance structure.
- Elected Trustee Earl Overstreet as board vice chair
- Approved a contract for design services for a Buchanan Towers renovation
- Approved an intergovernmental cooperative purchasing agreement with Community Transit
- Heard an overview on capital planning by Rich Van Den Hul, vice president for Business and Financial Affairs; Rick Benner, university architect/director, Facilities Development and Capital Budget; Linda Beckman, director, Budget and Administration for Enrollment and Student Services, and Francis Halle, director, Space Administration/Management
- Heard an Olympia update by Becca Kenna-Schenk, director of Government Relations, on the ongoing legislative session, which is now in a second special session.
- Heard a wrap-up of Associated Students activities by AS President Stephanie Cheng.
- Heard a wrap-up of Faculty Senate activities by Faculty Senate President Kristen Larson.
Meeting documents are available at the Board of Trustees website. The dates for the next regular meeting of the Board of Trustees are August 17 and 18.