Western Window Episode 43 is now online!
Did you know that Western has its own monthly student-produced TV show, Western Window? It airs on local cable channel KVOS, Bellingham cable access channel BTV10, and online via Western's own YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/wwu. In this episode, hosted by the Alumni Association's Chris Roselli and WWU senior Kevin Miller, learn about Western's Vehicle Research Institute, a recent faculty-led learning experience to Mongolia, and more.
The following is the story lineup for this episode, followed by time links to the start of each segment:
1. Cultivating Compassion – Western alumna Emily Hine (’89) has helped raise over $150 million for nonprofits across the country, all with the central overarching goal of increasing peace and compassion on the planet. (1:05)
2. Mars Invasion! – Bellingham recently hosted an event for NASA scientists, researchers from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and Western’s own Mars expert, Melissa Rice, to talk about what is coming in terms of our collective efforts to explore and potentially colonize the Red Planet. (7:58)
3. Learning to be Global – Western already has a deep connection with Mongolia due to its East Asian Studies program and one also housing on the world’s largest collections of Mongolian books and literature. But a recent trip to the country by faculty, staff and students paved the way for even stronger ties. (12:42)
4. Engineering Passion – Western and its Vehicle Research Institute were called by Automobile Magazine as “very possibly the best school in the country for total car design.” Pushing to find cutting edge alternative-fuel vehicles that are capable of being mass produced, what is it that drives these students to succeed, let alone spend an additional 60 hours a week in the shop? (19:23)
5. First Steps to Sustainability – Camp Lutherwood is an environmental-learning experience for 5th graders led by students from Western’s Huxley College of the Environment with the goal of planting the seed of environmental stewardship in the young minds of the campers. (23:30)