Opening Convocation to kick off school year Sept. 18
The morning begins with a complimentary breakfast from 8 to 9 a.m. in the Viking Union, and is followed by convocation and the presentation of faculty and staff awards from 9:10 to 10:15 a.m. on the PAC Mainstage.
All offices will be closed and operations suspended from 8:00 to 10:45 a.m. (except in rare cases where staff have already been informed they must report to carry out their essential responsibilities).
The Western Washington University community will convene to celebrate the start of the 2013-14 academic year by sharing breakfast and each other’s company, to recognize faculty and staff award winners, and to hear from President Bruce Shepard at the Opening Convocation on Wednesday, Sept. 18.
Shepard's remarks will include six critical questions facing Western and will provide a foundation for discussions that will take place this year about the future vision of Western.
"As you know, higher education is changing dramatically, from the way it is funded and delivered to the demographics of our future students," Shepard wrote in a message to the WWU community Monday. "How will Western adapt to these challenges and opportunities, and what will it look like five, ten, or more years down the road? A serious question that I am often asked, one that requires serious thought and dialogue. I challenge you to help shape the answers."
The faculty and staff award winners who will be recognized are:
- Outstanding Faculty Leadership: Kevin Leonard, History
- Diversity Achievement Award: Steven Sulkin, Shannon Point Marine Center
- Carl H. Simpson Bridging Award: Aysha Kloub, Fairhaven College
- Outstanding Classified Staff: Susan Cahill, Woodring College of Education
- Professional Staff Award for Excellence: David Davidson, Border Policy Research
- Philip E. Sharpe, Jr. Community Engagement Award: David Willett, Facilities Development/Capital Budget
- Team Recognition Award: Multi-Purpose Field Team (Mark Bagley, Linda Beckman, Rick Benner, Mark Brovak, Steve Brummel, Athletics Steven Card, Travis Connell, Clark Cripps, Lynda Goodrich, Teresa Hart, Tamara Jansen, Adam Leonard, Barbara Lewis Pete Lockhart, Sally McKechnie, Justin Moore, Sara Nichols, Kunle Ojikutu, Sara Richards, Diana Rosen, Marie Sather, Ed Simpson, Amy Suiter, Brian Sullivan, Mike Ulrich, David Willett)
Western Washington University faculty and staff enjoy complimentary breakfast in the Viking Commons before President Bruce Shepard's Opening Convocation speech in the PAC in 2009. File photo by Matthew Anderson | WWU